View Single Post
Old 08-19-2012, 04:38 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice
Default Making My On Landing Net WIP

Howdy, I was needing a weekend project for between fishing excursions. I am needing a small compact landing net, so I decided to make my own. I remember seeing an avid fly fisherman once who had a real small net. Just large enough to slip over the heads of played out fish, but small and compact enough to not get in the way, hanging off my back or belt.

I had some nice birds eye maple for knife handles. Would have been nice to have an inch or two wider, but it will suffice. The net is 18 inches long and about 5 inches wide. I used a bicycle cable lock to get the shape from. I then used the band saw, drill press, and jig saw to cut it out. I coated it with cyanoacrylate or super glue. The thin viscosity of the glue soaks into the wood giving it a thin stabilized water proof durable layer. More coats can be added and polished to a high shine later.

Here's what I've come up with so far...

Click the image to open in full size.

cheers.