Thread: Boulder creek
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2012, 08:48 PM

chauncey is on a distinguished road
Default Boulder creek

Finally got out fishing yesterday and decided to head up to boulder creek since I needed to be back at the house by 12. First stop was the cable run pull off, I put the rod together and tied on a #14 chubby chernobyl with a #18 two bit hooker and proceeded to walk down stream a bit. Water wasnt moving all that fast but was nice and cold. Took a few minutes but got my first fish a pretty nice brown. After that it seemed like the water went numb, I had a few takes but for the most part I got nothing. Even in this nicer stretch of deeper slow moving water (almost like a pool) where I figured I would get tons of hits. At this spot I also tried my lucky sham-wow pattern that had worked in previous weekends at this same spot (nothing on it either).

So I decided to pack up and move up to a pull off that a guide from FRA had taken me a few weeks back where there are tons of small pocket water and nice boulders to climb over. (There are only two pull offs here (both fit 1 car) one on the downhill side of the road and the other on the uphill side so I parked there and walked down to the other pull off). Here I switched it up and tied on a copper john. Had a couple of nice takes on the hopper but again nothing on the dropper. After losing the hopper/dropped when my line was cut by a sharp boulder, I proceeded to tie on another hopper (again a chubby since I was fishing pretty heavy droppers) and a psycho prince. Finally, I got some takes on the dropper but on a couple of times (landing 2 of them).

Shortly after getting hung up in a tree and realizing the bead from my dropper had disappeared I tied on a fly I picked up at orvis a few weeks back called a tunghead stonefly (with two nice tung beads on the body). First cast and I landed a nice 10+inch brown, subsequent casts all had takes on the nymph. The rest of the time almost all takes were on that nymph and not the hopper.

I'm guessing that the heavy beads allowed the nymph to drop much faster in the pockets and get in the feeding lane. Anyways had a great time and learned a ton (which seems to happen every time I go out).

Click the image to open in full size.

---------- Post added at 07:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 PM ----------

For those wondering here's the stonefly I was fishing - Tunghead Stonefly Stonefly Nymphs / Tunghead Stonefly -- Orvis [SI139J] - $1.95 : Casters Online Fly Shop, Premiere online Fly Fishing Source

in black