View Single Post
Old 02-27-2009, 04:09 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Best way to kill a fish?

Hi Dry fly magic,

Nothing wrong if you want to kill some food once in a while. One problem that I see is you want to kill the big fish. If you are going to catch and release it should be the big fish. Catch the smaller fish to eat. Wouldn't you want to repeat the experience of catching a big fish again? It might even be bigger the next time.

Big Nick,

If you catch one fish take it home and freeze it. You might catch more the next time. I assume that you are fishing for Bass and Bream where you are located. A stringer is not a good way to store fish. If you are in a boat you should use the live well. There are a couple of problems with rope stingers where you go through the gills. Most times you will damage the gills on the fish. If you didn't damage the gills you may have introduced bacteria into the gills. I just think the rope stringer should not be used.

The chain stringers that have individual hooks might be a little easier on the fish. You don't have to go through the gills to add the fish. There is still a problem that you have the fish suspended in shallow water that may be very warm. The fish can't move around and find cooler water or shade. If you are on the water for a long period the survival rate will decrease. Releasing a fish and seeing it swim away is not a guarantee that the fish will survive. The really bad circumstances is when you catch the fish early in the morning and you fish most of the day. That fish is going to be so stressed that its chances of surviving are slim.

Frank