View Single Post
Old 08-22-2012, 10:01 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dead drift a popper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post
Hi, I just read a cool article about dead drifting a popper kind of like a dry fly for smallmouth bass. The article talked about casting 1/4 upstream using a reach cast and/or mending. I then was wondering whether I should:

A - reach cast, mend, feed stacks of line to the popper as it passes by

or

B - Cast it, then hold the rod high so the fly line has no means of creating drag, then feed line as it passes by

Which should I do? What do you guys do? Is there a better method of dead drifting a popper/dry fly?
You'll always need to mend to control the drift.
When you fish a popper in current, you're not trying to make a drag-free drift like you'd want to do when fishing a dry. You're purposely causing the popper to drag creating a wake to attract attention. You can draw a fish up from deep doing this.
You're not using your average cupped face popper to do this either. You want to use "slider" or pencil popper style bug that's designed to do this.
This type of fishing is especially effective at night when the wake of the fly against the night sky will be especially noticeable.

---------- Post added at 11:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 AM ----------

To truly dead-drift a popper you'll want to cast upstream with a bug such as the Clouser crippled minnow. This fly floats on it's deerhair head and collar while the marabou tail wiggles seductively underwater..

Click the image to open in full size.