View Single Post
Old 08-22-2012, 12:42 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Anyone cast Scott S4, Winston Boron IIIX, Sage One

Thanks, Mike. I read Red's customer response results and have been a supporter of Yellowstone Anglers efforts at semi-objective "shoot-outs". Sage and Winston as brands both enjoy long-established reputations and loyalty among fly fishers. Including me as I have written glowingly in these forums on the casting/fishing attributes of ONE. Red's makes an interesting unstated point though; brand loyalty is a huge factor in rod selection. I maintain we have let a golden era element of rod choice slip away. Back in the days of cane, one was an aficionado of the design style of a particular rod maker. Didn't matter if Jim Payne made rods that said, Abacrombie & Fitch or William Mills on them, it was a Payne, or Gillam or Garrison that a fly fisher wanted. Rod designers come and go and new designers come on the scene today and an established brand name on a rod does not inform the customer like familiarity with designers did in yesteryear. One of the reasons that Hardy has jumped to the forefront of graphite rod performance if not that George Anderson extolled their virtues (though that sure was great free advertising) but that Howard Croston, Hardy's designer, got rods out in front of American fly fishers by virtue of the establishment of Hardy of North America. The spectacular Jerry Siem at Sage designers rods with a very different feel then seminal Jim Green did. Winston's former designer, Sam Druckman, passed away this summer but his heritage lives on as does Tom Morgan's and we will see what happens when someone new takes the rod design helm at that company. Steve Rajeff and his brother Tim are also designing great rods at G.Loomis and Rajeff Sports respectively. I think some of the new Loomis NRX rods have gotten a short look because they intentionally lack the classic aesthetics of cane-inspired cosmetics at Winston, Sage and, newly rejuvenated Thomas&Thomas but get past it and cast one, they are great rods! Find the DESIGNER behind a brand whose style suites yours most ideally and become a follower of his work and you will grow a great quiver of rods.