View Single Post
Old 08-22-2012, 03:11 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dead drift a popper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post
Hi, I just read a cool article about dead drifting a popper kind of like a dry fly for smallmouth bass. The article talked about casting 1/4 upstream using a reach cast and/or mending. I then was wondering whether I should:

A - reach cast, mend, feed stacks of line to the popper as it passes by

or

B - Cast it, then hold the rod high so the fly line has no means of creating drag, then feed line as it passes by

Which should I do? What do you guys do? Is there a better method of dead drifting a popper/dry fly?
B only worbs if you are really close to the fish. I have a 15' rod I use a lot and I'm still not close enough most of the time. So I'd say A. You may also wnt to try doing a 'pop pop pop drift pop drift' kind of thing.

Once you start getting some cooler nights the Smallmouth seem to really like poppers. They are just getting in the good popper mode here. When that happens, I would probably not do a lot of drifting, and do more popping.