View Single Post
Old 08-22-2012, 03:57 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone cast Scott S4, Winston Boron IIIX, Sage One

Good point about the designers, S&S! The canoeing community definitely knows who designs which canoes, and those designers develop a huge following. David Yost is the first that comes to mind, and he designs canoes for several companies. I've had two of his canoe designs, and bought another fantastic David Yost designed carbon/kevlar canoe a few months ago. Lacking a garage, it resides in my living room.

The contemporary bamboo rod builders I'm familiar with mostly use the tapers of older (i.e. dead) designer/builders: Dickerson, Payne, Leonard. Many have their own tapers that they offer, but I don't know how far they deviate from the more established tapers. Of course, not all bamboo is created equal, so the builder plays a large role in selecting his materials very carefully, and in being very familiar with the tapers' characteristics. Even then, they don't all turn out the same. That's one of the things that makes bamboo interesting to me. There's a shop not too far from me, and the owner is a 70-something year old bamboo lover. He has a wall lined with older bamboo rods, and while the price is fair, he's not giving them away. It is nice to be able to go there and wiggle an older Leonard, but he keeps his higher quality reserve in the back room....