View Single Post
Old 08-23-2012, 12:53 PM

ben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really nice
Default Re: Good books or DVD Steelhead Great Lakes tribs

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaef View Post
I don't know of any books or DVDs but I can help you with some information on Northeast ohio river access and patterns for the steelhead run.

Ohio Steelhead Fishing

Go down and click on the rivers mentioned to see the maps. IMO for Ohio the Grand river (when conditions are good) is my go to. Conneaut Creek has the most fish since both Ohio and PA stock it but also has the most pressure.

I usually swing streamers (buggers, emerald shiner patterns) or drift egg patterns and black stoneflies. In the dead of winter I've also had luck on PT nymphs and Prince nymphs.
Thancks Schaef; I'll look close this book. I just saw on youtube a short movie on the Maitland River in Ontario, and it's just beautiful. I don't know nothing about Ohio, but sure, great Lakes aera it's just huge !

---------- Post added at 11:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
What would be helpful is if you mentioned which of the Great Lakes tribs you are seeking information for. The techniques used at each can vary slightly to greatly in some cases. Also lodging info, fly shops and tribs will obviously be dependent on what locale you are interested in learning about.
Hey Jaybo !!

I plan a trip on the Salmon River and others smalls tribs of the lake Ontario. You're right, it seems that the fly fishing technics and season can vary from an area to an other (I saw that in Pere Marquette River, it's seems that the spring run is better than the fall run, but maybe I'm wrong !!)

I saw this book : GREAT LAKES STEELHEAD, SALMON, & TROUT: ESSENTIAL TECHNIQUES FOR FLY FISHI

and this video THE GREAT LAKES STEELHEAD CHRONICLES: AN OVERVIEW OF FLY FISHING FOR STEELH