View Single Post
Old 08-25-2012, 10:53 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

As an update from an earlier post on my modifications to Moto's Minnow (the addition of rubber legs and a dubbed neck rather than a hackled collar), the result has been a rather successful leach pattern. I hooked (and ultimately lost) the biggest smallmouth I've ever hooked. It came unbuttoned at my feet but it jumped enough to be seen clearly and made for a great fight while it lasted . An ultra slow retrieve (almost a dead drift) with erratic twitches has been most effective, like for this little guy:
Click the image to open in full size.
So far the pattern has worked on sunnies, trout, smallies and LMB, along with assorted minnow species... Yet to see if carp like it as well, and steelhead testing will commence soon as well.

But for the sake of the actual tying focus of this thread, I've been diving back into articulated patterns and realized three things: I need a bigger hair stacker and I need a hair packer as well, and I finally need to go and track down double-sided razors... All learned from a blown collar and a poorly trimmed head, but my earlier attempts at Galloup's stuff looked worse and still scared up some lake-run fish, so here it is: Click the image to open in full size.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...