View Single Post
Old 02-28-2009, 07:43 PM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: In need of Colorado trip suggestions!!

First of all, I wish I was 18 again. This sounds like a blast.

Okay, there are lots of places that have good combinations of lake and river fishing in close proximity to one another.

1. Stagecoach reservoir and the Yampa river just south of Steamboat Springs. Get online and reserve a campsight soon if you can. Avoid July 4!!!

2. Reudi Reservoir and the Frying Pan river just outside of Glenwood Springs. World renowned fly fishing and a beautiful lake. These campsights have lots of first come first serve.

3. Spinney Reservoir, Elevenmile Reservoir, and a little section of the South Platte running between them called "The Dream Stream"! These are near nothing to speak of. The camping is not real remote, and there are few trees, and the wind blows in the afternoon, but the fish are absolutely huge! They are tough to catch at times, but there is amazing water all over the region within a 30 minute drive.

4. The Arkansas River - you can fly fish the edges or throw a spinner out into the middle just about any time you want other than peak runoff. Hub cities - Buena Vista, Salida, Leadville.

Some things to consider: Where are you coming from? What type of fly fishing do you normally do? How much do you want to fish and how much do you want to just have a good time - what are your expectations? And finally, watch the stream reports because you don't want to hit peak runoff.

Feel free to ask for more specific information. I know that I, and many others on the forum, would love to help you out with fly patterns and more specific locations once you make a decision.

Gary