View Single Post
Old 03-01-2009, 08:11 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In need of Colorado trip suggestions!!

Andrew

Yes, that is an excellent idea. Don't know why I didn't think of that earlier.
I've only fished there once, so I can't give any real fishing recommendations, but there are numerous fishing possibilities and I would think it would be more what your group could handle. RMNP will also give you the opportunity to hike into some high mountain lakes that don't see much fishing pressure and even if you get skunked, you can't beat the scenary. Like I said before stay away from the tailwaters, they just get hammered so hard that the fish get extremely selective. The natural food from the dams is very abundant so if your presentation isn't perfect you will get skunked. As far as NMNP goes, there is a Fly Shop in Loveland that can provide some real details, I will look up the name for you.

I also like what Yatahey is suggesting. Take a serious look at that area before you decide. The Taylor River offers some very good fishing opportunities and also has campsites right along the river. Plus the Gunnison River is very close (the Taylor flows into the Gunnison). If your into hiking you could hike down into the Black Canyon NP. From the trail head its a little over a mile down into the canyon. You need to get a Park pass. There a three camp sites (as I recall), its mostly used as a staging area by the outfitters who use horses to get rubber rafts and gear down to the river and then float on out towards Delta.

Larry