View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 06:05 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice
Default Biting Flies and Harm Reduction

Hello

I thought I would post some tips that seem to work for me when it comes to avoiding the skeets, black flies, horse flies and ticks.

The best advice I have that has worked for me and my wife, is to avoid the darker shades for your clothing and especially hats.

The best colors I have found to wear are the pale earth tones in the beige, light green, light grey, pale yellows, and light blue. Light colored camo is good but not the darker stuff.

The colors that blend into the background and mimic cloudy skies, sun shining on foilage. Avoiding dark browns, blacks, greens, and navy blues, will make you less of a target. Break up your pale shades too. Wearing plaids, and multi colored clothing in the lighter shades are all sound advice too.

As far as ticks, the only advice I have is when removing them use tweezers and gently pull from the sides. You must keep the tension light so the tick slips through as you pull. After a couple attempts he will come out without regurgitating dangerous toxins and potentially the bacteria that causes Lyme Disease. Never use hot needles or other devices that shock the tick as this will cause immediate vomiting by the tick in the wound and infection.

Would love to hear other tips from the community.