View Single Post
Old 08-31-2012, 09:59 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: looking for a builder, or thinking to build...not sure yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post

To expand on DD's comments above a touch. The only hard part in building a rod is the handle unless you've got something that allows you to 'spin the blank' as you're sanding. You also need long furniture clamps, build a cork jig so you can glue/compress the rings, etc.,, and etc. Failing that, see if you can find (Ang Wshp has tonnes) a pre-done one(s) and just slip on/glue in place.

You'll save yourself a tonne of ARRRRRRGGGGGG'S.
I turn down my grips off the blank and haven't had trouble. Even done two for rattan grips so thinner cork than normal. With cork for rattan grips I reamed it before turning it down.