View Single Post
Old 09-02-2012, 10:34 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Are high end fly lines worth the expense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by overmywaders View Post
P.S. - a single PVC fly line probably costs less than a dollar in materials and a few dollars in labor. The real cost is in advertizing - convincing you that you need the latest in fly lines.
Sure advertising is a big part of the business. Just ask Cortland what the lack of advertising did to their business lately.
Still, there's more to the price of lines than just the material, direct labor costs and advertising costs. You're a business owner if I'm not mistaken. Do you not factor inventory, equipment costs and indirect labor costs into your products?
I'll be the first to say that asking $100.00 for a floating fly line is pushing the envelope but I will pay a decent price to get the performance enhancements that I know from experience I can detect and use to advantage when casting and fishing.
Some folks don't seem to think the fly line is a very important part of a fly fishing rig. I feel it is one of the most important components if you want a good to great fly fishing system.