Thread: Woven Stonefly
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2012, 03:57 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Woven Stonefly

I also started tying woven stoneflies this year.

Click the image to open in full size.

From looking at your fly, I think you used the shuttle weave. I suspect you are trying to do the shuttle weave with your fingers and not with bobbins.

The shuttle weave using bobbins can be seen in this video by Aaron Jasper. One key is to keep tension on the floss, and to pull away from you toward the woven areas so the next weave is tight against the previous. This is much easier to do with bobbins.

Another tip is to use Uni Stretch Thread (this is a stretchable tying thread needed to cover the lead wire). This provides a smoother base and will make the following weaving step much easier.

Take a look at these video and practice using embroidery floss. It is cheap and comes in all the colors you would ever want. I split the 6 strand embroidery floss in half using only three strands.

Before tackling a stone fly I suggest practice with a simple woven caddis pupa.

Charlie's FlyBox - Colorado's Best FlyShop and online Fly Tying Tutorials

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy