View Single Post
Old 09-05-2012, 12:49 PM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of
Default Re: The Tent Thread;

HardyReels, I, like the above, have been a long time Moss Tent fan. Nothing lasts forever and made in Maine Moss's are long gone. The design rights were sold to Cascade Designs who produce the Mountain Safety Research (MSR) tents which are sewn very well in Taiwan. MSR has preserved and continued Moss's penchant for creativity, quality and light weight and produce a very fine tent. I bought my new MSR "Holler" 3 person tent sight unseen over the net. As it uses canopy mounted clips to attach to the very clever tubular frame poles rather than sleeves like my Moss or old North Face tents, it is much easier to erect and take down. This is a plus for me though I don't believe it is quite as stable in a storm as the sleeve designs. My critical caveat with the new tent is that it ain't no 3 person tent. It is a 2 person tent as long as the other person is my wife. It is smaller and lower than I had imagined and the tight curve the zippers have to negotiate in opening/closing the single layer door (I preferred the 2 layer: Nylon/Bug mesh doors of the North Face) require 2 hands and a little more care than I like in the middle of the night... On the plus side, MSR uses top grade materials and construction and fine details - the optional footprint, which I recommend, has tabs that perfectly coordinate with the tent so the tip of the pole goes trough booth simultaneously - there is a mesh "shelf" ideal for safe stowing of eye glasses - ventilation enhancement detailing is elegant and intelligent. MSR gets a thumbs up but be certain any model selected is the right size for your intended application, look at the actual measurements not their capacity recommendation. It is a little like a CFO III being rated for 5-weight line...fine if 50 yards of backing is sufficient because you are only fishing the Battenkill.