Thread: Epoxy Brand
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2012, 03:22 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Epoxy Brand

I've been using Devcon brand for many years, as I can get it locally at hardware stores. However, I don't use the 5 minute stuff. It yellows badly, and I often coat painted poppers & such with epoxy, so I don't want it to turn yellow. Plus, I prefer to do epoxy work in large batches, coating as many as 50 flies at a time, and 5 minute epoxy is not good for doing this. Instead, I use the 60 or 90 minute, which takes longer to set up, but when mixed properly, stays clear for a very long time. Seems the faster the set time, the more & faster it yellows.

I have a popper body that I made several years ago, painted white & epoxy coated & it still looks white. Although it probably has some yellowing, but not enough to notice a significant change.

I've not had the issue you've had, except when thinning with alcohol that has a higher water content, such as isopropyl rubbing alcohol, and the milky white only seems to stay that way until after it sets, then it gets clear as it hardens. I generally only thin epoxy when using it to coat popper bodies.

I now opt for thinning with ethyl alcohol sold as camp stove fuel, which has a very low water content.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!