Thread: bleaching
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2012, 08:22 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: bleaching

Hi Jim,

The situation is (I believe) that we are actually looking to damage the feathers to a certain extent. We use the bleach to 'burn' the fibers of ........for instance goose shoulder feathers. The process burns / removes the fine zipper like barbs that hold the feather fibers together. By doing this we are producing long feather fibers that flow nicely on many wet fly patterns.

The hackle on the fly below is the result of bleaching then dying goose feathers.

Click the image to open in full size.

---------- Post added at 05:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:20 PM ----------

Golden pheasant tippets................... You mean to bleach them to remove color or to remove the webbing? I have never done anything but to dye them so I am not sure what you are looking to do.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;