View Single Post
Old 09-15-2012, 06:11 AM

stuartpengs is a glorious beacon of lightstuartpengs is a glorious beacon of lightstuartpengs is a glorious beacon of lightstuartpengs is a glorious beacon of lightstuartpengs is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Brown Trout Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
Stuart, those pictures are KILLER. As an awful photographer myself, do you mind a quick blurb about settings on those photos? Particularly that first shot. I assume you're using a high-end camera with a quality polarizing filter (I bought an exceptionally cheap one which needs replacing on my Canon SX40HS P&S), as well as super-high shutter speeds in the action photos, but all those shots are beautiful! Please keep them coming!
Thanks chaps.

It's not really that high end, least not anymore. I use a Nikon D200 body which can be picked up pretty cheap these days, around 250 - 300 for a decent second hand one. As for lenses, for the fish shots then yes you need some pretty fast glass to be able to handle fast shutter speeds in sometimes pretty poor light. The lens I use for that kind of shot is a
Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 EX DG OS HSM Lens for Nikon Digital: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 EX DG OS HSM Lens for Nikon Digital: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo
. I was using my macro 105mm f2.8 last year, but started to get some some situations where it didn't quite have enough reach, so invested in the Sigma this year. As for settings, I wouldn't recommend going lower than 1/500th sec for that kind of shot, the benifit of the f2.8 is it will still get that kind of shutter speed even on the most miserable of days. If the light is better I'll up it to as high as 1/1000th sec, but I've found there's little to be had in going much higher than that. Try and maintain ISO locked at 100 or 200, or you might start to get noise. No filters used in the fish shots. Polarising filter will cost you a couple of stops shutter speed, so having it screwed on might take your shutter speed too low if the light is poor.