View Single Post
Old 09-16-2012, 10:17 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New member / new to fly fishing

I'm a light gear kind of guy, love my 2, 3, and 4wt rods. Recently landed a 5+ lb trout on my 7'6" 4wt bamboo without trouble. However, I'd recommend starting with an 8'6" or 9' 5/6 wt, unless you're just going to be fishing small streams. x2 for what others have said about the advantages of a heavier rod for casting larger flies and fighting fish in current, not to mention casting into the wind. Now the different between a 4 and 5 wt won't be huge, but if you get a good 5wt and find you're fishing smaller streams or delicate dries to smaller trout, down the road you could pick up a 3wt to round out your rod collection.

As for reel, I don't think you'd go wrong with the Allen or the Guru. I got a Guru for a friend for salmon fishing with a 9wt rod, but I doubt your drag will be tested like that. I will say I was amazed how light the Guru was, but the Allen I have on my 6wt is a nice looking and nicely working reel. I'll muddy the waters by suggesting a Battenkill Bar Stock from Orvis. It's machined, great drag, nice looking, and the company will stand behind it, though Lamson and Allen will stand behind their reels too, so it might just come down to which reel you like better.