View Single Post
Old 09-17-2012, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Yeah It's Heavy but Man Does It Ever Cast!

When it comes to 'space behind the caster' there are many different styles of casting. I don't believe I have a style, whatever it is that I know about this came from using the rods to fish. I've seen people who use a significant amount of space to the rear when casting, I have tried this and more often than not I end up with my fly striking the shoreline rocks and breaking a hook. It is because of this I seldom allow the line or fly to venture behind me more than a couple of feet.

I believe that these rods and lines would be beneficial for fishing streamers no matter where you are provided you have a big river. They do make the simple task of netting a fish rather difficult though. Due to the length of the rod you either need to bring (drag) a fish to shore (big ones) or you must find a safe rest for the rod and then handle the line / leader to contain the fish. This can cause some pretty hectic and disorganized moments until you get a system down for the actual landing / netting of a fish.

I will also say that my few experiences trying to use these from a boat have been less than fun. They are best utilized when wading and you can stay close to shore rather than wade to the middle of the river because of rod length and casting ability of the rod. It takes a lot more line & fly management / control when fishing longer casts but you catch on quick as to what you must do to keep the fly in the action.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;