View Single Post
Old 09-17-2012, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Yeah It's Heavy but Man Does It Ever Cast!

Hi Marco,

This is pretty common I think, I had my first rod nearly a year before I gave it a whirl. Part of the fear is that of something new and another aspect is that since it's new we figure we will struggle. Nothing much worse than struggling with a fly rod except doing so with an audience.

For overhead casting like you would do for striper's they take some getting used to. If you will be stripping the fly back then a shooting head in the 25 - 28 foot range will do nicely for you. Since you use a stripping basket you can keep a pile of running line in the basket and mastering 28' of line in an overhead cast will be simple. I just wait for the tug on the back cast and then launch it. Because the rod is 15' you don't have to worry about the back cast dropping into the water even if you wait for that tug.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;