View Single Post
Old 09-17-2012, 10:06 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Yeah It's Heavy but Man Does It Ever Cast!

Learning on still water will be a lot different than doing the same with a current at your shoulder. In this case, (still water) I would think that finding videos of 'how to' would be helpful. Current; a nice gentle 2 mph for instance makes line management easy. It would also save you from learning on still water and then taking the rig to a river and running into things that didn't happen at the lake shore.

---------- Post added at 07:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liphookedau View Post
Ard,Even though I've never tried Spey Casting with a Switch or Spey Rod,I've watched a few Methods Of Spey Casting on You-Tube,seen it Done,tried it with my10ft Rod with A switch Line.
I hadn't heard or saw The Perry Poke until a couple of weeks ago I watched a guy on our Local Lake,I was told he was doing The Perry Poke.
I agree with Fred you have a Nice Cannon,which is capable of Mighty Distances,by the way what size Projectiles can it throw with The 770 Grain Line,as I imagine,as you mentioned it does it quite easily ??
Brian.
Hi Brian,

I just spotted this, the big Winston rod uses an 875 grain line and although I have not used anything larger than a 2/0 un-weighted salmon fly I'm sure it'll toss larger stuff. The problem would arise once the fly became so big and heavy that it sinks too deep during the set up of a cast that the line can not rip it from the water.

My experience albeit limited is that as the payload size & weight increases the range and the ease of casting respond in negative ways.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;