Thread: It's Been Tough
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2012, 04:54 PM

riverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really nice
Default It's Been Tough

Summer on the river here is always tough, but this year for different reasons. Low water flow from the drought - even though we've had some rain lately - has resulted in super clear water and lots of vegetation. The fish are packed up in the grass where you can't really get a fly to. It's like going to the aquarium, visibility can be 10 foot or more. I've seen the largest examples of all our species swim by me, past me, under me. It's really cool to watch.

Another problem I've discovered has been that the fish come up to my fly, look at it and just swim off. I haven't been fooling them. This got me to thinking about and experimenting with fly materials. More realistic look and flash, better movement.

The Dub Bug -
Click the image to open in full size.
This one actually caught a 24" catfish on my 4wt. That was fun.

I'm likeing this ice dub, and so are little guys.

An all flash clouser - looked kind of goofy when I tied it but it's caught quite a few medium sized bass.

Feather Minnow -

Caught a 20"er

A zonker type of thing - I tied it thinking of bigger fish, but I guess the little ones get big by eating well.

This has been my favorite the past few weeks, the UV dub gives a realistic flash and the tail swings back and forth for good movement.

And it works -

A few more -

Seasons are begaining to change and size and numbers should be coming back to us. This weekend is a camping trip a little farther down river so we'll see what happens.

-- David