View Single Post
Old 09-20-2012, 07:34 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: A Clear & Present Threat;

Somewhere in all that I wrote on the entries here, I hope I mentioned the flooding of 2006. In September of 2006 we had a bad one. Homes were lost, bridges along the Parks Highway were taken out and I believe the Copper River took out the Million Dollar Bridge that year. Seldom would you hear about these events in the news down in the lower 48, chiefly because of the lack of population density here. Even a major flood does not displace tens of thousands the way one would in say,........Missouri, or Pennsylvania.

I do suspect that the 2006 flood had at least a hand in the poor king returns, 2011 & 2012, in this part of Cook Inlet. Since the life cycle of king salmon would have them returning as adults on the 5th or 6th year after they were deposited as eggs in the gravel of a river here.

The rivers I have visited in the past few days are remote. Even if they are crossed by a road, once you move a few miles up or down river from the bridge you are in a place forgotten by many, remembered by few. Although it will be painful to see I'll try to get out either on foot or I'll take the boat out tomorrow and take some pictures.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;