View Single Post
Old 09-22-2012, 02:06 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Casting Practice at Pools

Learning to put fly line down and pick it up is always preferable on water so my answer is, go to it. I spent 10 years thrashing around with a fly rod and line before I bought Tom McNally's book 'Fly Fishing by Tom McNally'. After reading the casting chapters I spent the better part of 3 months on a beautiful pool learning every cast he had described through his wonderful text and diagrams. After that I took the casting to the currents and practiced the line & fly control techniques he had written about. When I was done I was an accomplished fly caster and I still use almost every aspect of his lessons every time I fish some 34 years later.

Use your water, welcome back Quimby

Ard

[PS] In my own opinion there has never been a better 'How To' book published than McNally's 'Fly Fishing'. If you want The Book about how to be a fly fisherman look at your public library or on Amazon for it, 'Fly Fishing', Tom Mcnally published 1978.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;