View Single Post
Old 09-23-2012, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: The Waters Are Receding;

The rivers are well over their banks but due to the fact that these are areas with very few people actually living near the water reports are few. I do have friends that live along the Yetna but calling them is something I won't do. If they are flooded there is nothing I could do to help them and if they aren't, I'll find out when I go up the river.

There are plenty of cabins along the yetna once you get about 30 miles up the river and I can only guess there has been some lost, this too I'll see when I go up.

This picture was taken 4 weeks ago as I was headed home. The river (Yetna) is huge when not in a high water state and when it's up and running wild it's even bigger. This shot shows a look down river about 6 miles above its confluence with the Susitna. When to 2 rivers join it's pretty impressive, more water than the Mississippi I would guess.

Click the image to open in full size.

Aside from its sometimes frightening demeanor I love traveling on the Yetna. I stand at the console for hours every trip to the cabin and regardless of the weather conditions marvel at the scenes I am privileged to take in.

I look at all of this and always think of the life I left behind 8 years ago now. I miss the folded mountains of Northern Pennsylvania and my view of Pike's Peak when I lived in Colorado, but when I'm at the wheel out there on that big water; cold wind against your face, the eagles along the shores........... It's something else.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;