View Single Post
Old 09-23-2012, 07:29 PM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about
Default My favorite freshwater quarry

I love an underdog and this is the Guadalupe Bass of the Texas Hill country. They don't get huge or burn your drag but are scrapers that give everything they have. They use the river current to maximize their fight. The region they are caught is mostly smallish rivers with clearish water. The fellows below were caught in the Llano River WNW of Austin, TX. Llano River system is one of the last strong holds of these little tough guys.

They are losing ground to smallmouth and spotted bass. They are cross breeding with both. TPWD (Texas Parks & Wildlife Dept.) fears their strains could be lost in another decade. The spotted & smallmouth are fine fish but I'll miss these little dudes!

These fellows (along with 15+) were caught Sat evening and Sunday morn. We used 5 & 8wt rods equiped with Bass Bug taper as cast are not far but often the buggs we throw are bulky (Guad's love a mouthful!). Most run small with these being general range of size caught. My favorite flies/bugs are noisy bright poppers and Wooley Boogers.

Like I said they aren't permit or Atlantic Salmon but a very endearing fish with an aggresive nature. Nothing better than an afternoon on the James river chasing these Hill Contry gems.

Pete A.

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.