View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 05:52 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brass vs Tungsten or both

comeonavs: I use both brass and tungsten and once on the stream decide which to use depending on the speed of the current and depth you are fishing. You just need to figure out a method that works for YOU so you can identify which patterns are tied with brass and which are tied with tungsten (I do it by color). For me at least, it has nothing to do with the size of the nymph......I rarely use anything larger than a size 16 anyway. As jcw355 stated, if you are doing a two nymph rig, I usually put the BH pattern on first and then an unweighted or very lightly weighted patten on second. The idea being that you want the first nymph to ride very close to the bottom and the second nymph floating up off the bottom. I never carry a dozen of any pattern in my sling pack. I might have six at the most of any one pattern and that has to be a REAL favorite, otherwise I might carry 2 or 4 of each pattern. In the sling, I carry one small fly box of dries (contents change with the season, lately I have been using a lot of beetles and ants), one small box of nymphs/emerger/midge patterns and a month ago I was carrying a small plastic container with hopper/chernobyl ant patterns. Lately, I haven't seen much action with the hoppers so that container has been replaced. I've switched from fishing hopper/droppers vs dry/droppers, but this past couple days haven't had much success on top so I have switched to a traditional two nymph rig using "OMG" an indicator. LOL! Now I'm getting ready to switching over to carrying a small container of steamers since the browns are starting to stage. Hope that helps.

Larry