View Single Post
Old 03-05-2009, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Drift Boat Forums

Hi Tom,

No need for another forum. NAFFF has many members who fish drift boats.

Go to the Hyde site and watch some of the videos. For one man in your area I think the Hyde Drifter would be a good fit. It is light weight and has good rocker so it would be easy to maneuver. Its not a heavy water boat but I don't think you need that. The boat is short enough that you could cast from the rower's seat in any direction. Especially if you stood.

I hope that "tie one on" jumps in here. He fishes a full sized drift boat by his self most of the time. I think his thoughts would be very helpful.

If you fish water where motors are allowed you might want to take a look at a Freighter Canoe. I used a 20 footer with a 25hp jet on the back in Alaska. This is my all time favorite boat that I have owned. It is a fishing machine. Mine was cedar and canvas and only weighed 200 pounds. On man can handle it with ease.

One trick you can use is to suspend your anchor in the water but not on the ground. This will keep the boat in a straight line with a light currant. In water with a slow currant you can also use a drift sock. Of course this won't work if you are dodging boulders. You best bet is to analyze your fishing waters and pick a boat that fits those circumstances the best for one person.

Frank

Hyde Drifter
Click the image to open in full size.

Hyde Drifter

Scott Hudson Bay Freighter Canoe