View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 05:30 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: An Ethics Question

Situational. on a small, pristine creek, just fish the waters where it is possible to get a fly in. No need to cut and prune bushes and trees.

Also depends on whether or not you are going to be helping bait fisherman.

On the San Juan there are a few spots with a LOT of willows. I was at such a spot where the fish were close (ish) to shore. There were probably around 50 in a small stretch of water, all 14-19." There were no casting lanes behind me, I had to stay close to the bank or spook the fish. Anyone who tries to roll cast a strike indicator, splitshot, beadhead, and another fly knows it is easier said than done. The fish were far enough away just throwing my line out there was not an option.

I cut off some limbs from one of the offending willows, knowing they were prolific, would not hurt the plant, and would not help baitfisherman (regulations call for artificial fly and lure only blah blah blah.....) I ended up cathing over a dozen, all good sized, from that spot.

long story short it depends.

Last edited by newby; 09-25-2012 at 05:51 PM.