View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 08:00 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Having trouble feeling the load in the backcast

The feel comes with time. There could be several issues that are causing you to not have it yet, but two that I struggled with at first stand out in my mind.

1. As someone said, a lot of newbies don't come to that solid stop on the back and forward casts. When this happens, you lose energy in the line and as a result, you may not feel that load on your back cast.

My solution to this was to deliberately try and shorten my casting stroke to a level that felt almost silly. When I went back and looked, the stroke wasn't short...it was right.

2. Timing - I struggled with this for a long time and still occasionally do. If you are anticipating the load too soon and as a result coming forward too soon, you will not feel the load.

My solution to this was to watch the tip of the rod. I didn't worry about actually watching the line itself, just the tip of the rod. This allowed me to understand what was happening to the rod and line in relation to what I was/wasn't feeling in my hand.

These are just things that really helped me when I was figuring this whole thing out. Hopefully they will help you as well!