View Single Post
Old 09-27-2012, 04:55 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Having trouble feeling the load in the backcast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike63 View Post

I want to be able to blast a fly out there 45 feet and have the line land on the water straight as a laser beam with no curly-Q.

George Harvey is rolling in his grave
Mike,

I wonder if one of the reasons you are nor feeling the backcast is that you don't have much line out. Less line mass means less rod load.

By my calculation a 9 ft rod + 30 ft of fly line + a 9 ft leader is about 45 feet. Even if your rod and leader is shorter, you still may not have enough line to bend that rod very much.

BTW, Rips' comment refers to the fact that a straight line cast is often the worst cast for fishing.

From a Packer fan, if George is not rolling in his grave about that, he surely is if they have the NFL channel in heaven.

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy