View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012, 08:33 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Best 12wt Flyrod?

Tarpon rods are hard to build. I have been out with Captains that have prototype testers aboard and seen how easily some break. 12-weight is pushing the limit of fly fishing...yes, tarpon eat flies and are true fly rod gamefish but...they are hugely powerful! Hoop strength and longitudinal strain strength are paramount yet the rod must be castable too. Many early graphite and boron graphite composit rods which used fiberglass scrim had the strength but were pool cues to cast. Some newer designs which are much lighter and thinner walled, cast very well and explode when the angler or the tarpon makes an unexpected move. I was on a very productive trip to Islamorada some years back with two friends; we hooked a great number of tarpon and, in one week, broke 5 rods. I have a piece of one sitting on my desk as I write this to remind myself of that adventure. The successful tarpon rods of today are designed and built by tarpon fanatic anglers; Scott S3s, Sage Xi3, G.Loomis NRX & Crosscurrent GLX, Hardy Proaxis are not inexpensive but are built for tarpon...the new T&T may well be too, I have no experience with it but the renewed company has tarpon genetics.