View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 02:58 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: walleye fly fishing.

Welcome to the forum delopez. I use a clouser more than anything for Walleye. You don't need to use any kind of bite tippet for them. They are toothy but the teeth are for holding not cutting so they don't cut you off. The teeth are sharp and will still punch holes in your fingers so don't go lip them like Bass or anything.

I use a floating line most of the time but I also use an intermediate sinking line. I have hooked them in water I know is every bit of 17' deep and I have hit them on the surface. When they are really deep the best thing is the Clouser and a long leader. Count down just like you would a sinking Rapala. Once you find where the fish are you can generally hook a bunch of them. For times they are hitting on the surface you can use things like EP flies or stuff with spun deer hair heads.

If you are going to be doing this from a boat you are better off casting parallel to the shore rather than in at it. This is one of things where casting far will generally be a help. In fact the more I do this the more I realize there is no such thing as to far a cast. That's why I started using two hand rods for them. Well at least one of the reasons. The other three reasons are the longer leaders get me deeper, I can do it in places where I have almost no room behind me and it is so much fun I'm surprised someone hasn't attempted to either tax it or make it illegal.

If you are going to be doing this where you have both White Bass and Walleye, I'd move if you are getting the Bass. I might be wrong on this one because I have not done it often in places with both. However, when I did, I never got Walleye while I was getting White Bass. I think they segregate themselves. On the Bass, I'd try the clouser as well.

I'm pretty sure I just scratched the surface here so if you have anymore questions feel free to ask away. If there is something I can't answer, somebody here will be able to. Lots of great folks on the forum and a ton of information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
Where are the big fish, Dan?

!!!
Up here. Come up and I'll show you exactly where they are.