View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 05:52 PM

comeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud of
Default Re: First time tying Hen Saddle hackle....HELP!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
are you using the hackle with the fibers on both sides? if so, are you folding the hackle prior to wrapping it.

I believe the hackle, rather than being wound on, can be stripped of the fibers and tied on as a throat

alternatively, just take a tooth brush and brush the clumps out when you have the fly finished.
Hmmm I don't know. I just pluck a whole feather off the saddle, trim the bottom off up to the good part of the feather. I cut just the bottom fibers off both sides of the stem leaving just a bare nub to tie on. Hackle goes bottom side down to the hook. I then lift it straight up with the hackle pliers. The rotations around and tie it off. I then following Charlie's website instructions hold it back down the hook shank and finish tying it in. It is supposed to create sweeping hackle but I am getting clumps after that last step.