View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 05:52 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Re: First time tying Hen Saddle hackle....HELP!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
are you using the hackle with the fibers on both sides? if so, are you folding the hackle prior to wrapping it.

I believe the hackle, rather than being wound on, can be stripped of the fibers and tied on as a throat

alternatively, just take a tooth brush and brush the clumps out when you have the fly finished.
Hmmm I don't know. I just pluck a whole feather off the saddle, trim the bottom off up to the good part of the feather. I cut just the bottom fibers off both sides of the stem leaving just a bare nub to tie on. Hackle goes bottom side down to the hook. I then lift it straight up with the hackle pliers. The rotations around and tie it off. I then following Charlie's website instructions hold it back down the hook shank and finish tying it in. It is supposed to create sweeping hackle but I am getting clumps after that last step.