View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 08:59 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Time To Talk About Some New Fly Swaps;

Ard, thanks for seeking input on the fly swaps from the forum members.

Most of the other forums I have been on or browse have the swaps setup so that anyone who wants to host a swap can do so and that person is the organizer. The results have always been pretty good. This way, the person who actually wants to start the swap has a little more motivation to get the packages and disperse them. I for one could not see getting flies in every month collecting and dispersing. That would get old pretty fast, at least for me. When I retire, I might have a different opinion on that but for now, no way I'd want to do that repeatedly. This is a pretty solid group of active members here, I think this could work here too.

Disclosure: Of the 4 swaps I have been in, I hosted one of them.

I won't ask or speculate on what has gone on in the past, but if it is determined that things should be dialed back to 2 swaps at one time with 2 designated coordinators, then that's OK by me too.

I am also one who thinks that most swaps should be open to all tiers. I remember doing my first one and there is a bit of nervousness sending out a batch of flies to guys who are much better than you. Those guys were always pretty good to me in terms of accepting my fly and even giving me pointers. That's what I like about keeping them open. Camaraderie. Having said this, I also like the idea of from time to time, a theme being a newbie swap or an advanced swap. Just to mix things up a bit. Toe tags are kind of a pain but do-able. I like Eunan's idea of posting a photo with some instruction in it. Saves trees and it also is a great reference for the entire forum. In case somebody doesn't have a camera, I'm sure another poster would be happy to take the photo and the tier can post the recipe.

I do like the idea of a set timeline, though maybe around Christmas or other holidays/major events, there can be exceptions. Again, most of the forums I have been on the deadline is set by those participating. The other thing that I always thought cool was that they tied extras for the mods or the host. If nothing else, I think an extra fly or two for the host is a great touch and good form. This was more or less an unwritten "rule".

As for postage. Everyone should be responsible for their own return postage. If you don't do it, you don't get your flies. Period. Use whatever box you like, mail it however you like and make sure that return packaging is included. What's worked for me is to get a foam envelope from the PO or wherever, take to the counter, pay for shipping on one and the return shipping on the other. Simple. An extra trip to the PO, sure, but worth it to me to get my flies and not place burden on the coordinator.

Last but not least, update the sticky with the new protocols. That is probably a given though. Everyone in the swap can be referred there for questions, instructions, guidelines, etc. Every swap is done with the same protocols and how they are run is clear to all. Maybe there should be a minimum post requirement to help keep active members in the mix? Also, maybe a no tolerance policy or a feedback system of sorts? Not sure how that can be done. Maybe a designated moderator overseeing the individual swaps? Maybe a requirement to run a swap? Just some random thoughts here. 99% here won't have any problems, I'm sure.
Thanks for taking time to solicit opinion and for reading my thoughts.

Last edited by jaybo41; 09-29-2012 at 09:16 PM.