View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 11:02 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Smile I've Finally Found One;

I believe this is the only one of these on the thread. I've read somewhere that the Pflueger Medalist is the American Hardy. While I'll not argue their bomb proof reliability I would submit that there was another American reel manufacturer who created something more suited to being called an American Hardy. The Martin Reel Co. of Mohawk NY. produced many very light weight clicker reels but by the mid to late 1970's made what I think was their best lightweight, the MG-7. With a diameter of 3.25" and weight of 4 oz. it is a perfect match for any graphite or glass rod and especially suited to vintage rods.

I've been on the look for one of these for quite some time but they are hard to find. When one would turn up they were usually beat up pretty well and I passed. I got one today

Other than the screwed pillars it has a sort of Euro appeal about itself.

Click the image to open in full size.

The reel was not a Hardy clone but it is quite obvious by the overall design that Martin was somewhat inspired by the British reels. I was especially pleased to find this one with such a minimal amount of rim wear or nicks. I should add that as far as I know, in the clicker reels the MG series were the only ones to come with a nice machined alloy reel foot. If I want one for my Pflueger it'll cost me 28 dollars.....

The drag mechanism is what really showed that Martin was not looking to infringe on the Hardy style. I also have an old MG-3 with this same drag system. They offer a good strong check so that the reels will not over-spool when you strip line out and a noticeable range of tension as you adjust the drag knob located on the back plate.

I'm really happy to have found this and it has a home on the seat of that 1968 Orvis Full Flex I've got

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;