Thread: TFO TiCr X 5wt
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012, 08:12 AM

moucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud of
Default Re: TFO TiCr X 5wt

Also try borrowing a lighter, more flexible rod and see if it isn't easier to get the feel of the casting mechanics. In general, it's harder for beginners to learn to cast with a stiff rod than a more medium-action rod. Once you've got the hang of it on a forgiving rod, it will be easier to transfer those skills to a more difficult one.

Even among stiff rods, though, the Ti Cr X is a brute. I have a 6 wt TiCrX and it's great for certain situations, especially distance casting into the wind and putting the wood to heavy, hard-fighting fish. But I've been casting fly rods for over 20 years, and even I usually fish it with a 7 or 8 line rather than a 6. It's not really an all-around tool for most fishing, which often requires more accuracy and delicacy than the TiCrX can deliver easily. You can use a Mack truck to run your routine Saturday morning errands, but a plain old Chevy sedan is going to do the job better. You might consider getting another, shorter 5 weight with a slower action for dry flies and smaller streams, and saving the TiCrx for windy days and big rivers. There are a lot of rods out there that won't put too big a hole in your wallet, especially if you can find a discontinued model on closeout.