View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 05:32 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's the easiest 5wt rod to cast < $500

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike63 View Post
If you had $500 to spend and wanted to buy the easiest 5wt fly rod to cast, what would it be? Appearance, build quality, components are secondary, ease of casting and "feel" being the only criteria out to say 60 feet.

I think that the answer to your question depends, almost entirely, on your casting style. Only you will know the answer to your question and I think that the best way to get that answer is to go out and cast as many 5 wt. rods as you can. One of more of them will "talk" to you and you'll know when you've hooked up your casting style with the right rod and 60' will come pretty easily to you when you do.

Sage went the route of trying to design a rod that was easy for almost everyone to cast when they came out with their One blank. I think they were pretty successful in their attempt, but unless you get one used, that rod will take you out of your upper end price line.

You might want to try a TFO BVK rod; I haven't heard anyone say anything bad about them yet............. I also like the Redington CPX rods (I have two of them). My favorite 5 wt. is a Sage Z-Axis, but they stopped making them when they came out with the One; so unless you can get a used one in good shape, that's not really an option anymore.

Pocono