View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 08:24 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: First time tying Hen Saddle hackle....HELP!!!!

I used to think the Hot-wire prince was too gaudy, then I fished it last summer. Great fly! Yours should prove to be deadly!

I think I tied the hackle in first, than tied biots over the top to keep the 'legs' downward. I use hen saddle on most every nymph that is big enough to have legs swaying around. Do up some copper johns and pheasant tails with soft hackle also, they are awesome. Dual color wire copper john(like yellow and green or red and yellow) with a prince nymph thorax is basically a 'psycho prince' which also works great. I make weird combos of tried and true flies and they all seem to work well.
Lastly, using 'centipede leg' material for the legs instead of hackle can give a great look to your nymphs. Psycho prince with rubber legs is great in fast water (so maybe next year?).

PS try some nymphs on Daiichi 1150 curved hooks. Super sharp, IMO better hookup rate, the curved hook lends a curved 'swimming' look to nymphs as they arch forward and back for movement in the water. Look at a swimming bug in the water, they almost always do a 'fetal curve'.

Winter warrior on #16 daiichi 1150 (rainbow warrior with black tinsel and dark dubbing):
Click the image to open in full size.