View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 09:30 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Time To Talk About Some New Fly Swaps;

I hear exactly what you are saying. But try not to take offense...

Simple is good, guide ties are great. But that does not make me want to invest a lot of time in making great flies to send out to get 30 second flies back.

"maybe you should not join the swaps" Dude, a bit harsh perhaps?
I'll admit, that's what I thought when I realized what I had traded away!

I was just offering some constructive criticism. If I knew I was joining a 'simple guide fly' swap I would eagerly tie up some simple and effective goodies and swap them. Just saying, some people spend 1 hour tying a dozen of very simple (and good and effective) flies, while others put in much more effort. There should be some level of expectation I believe. I prefer to show the world my best work, not some 20 second dubbing ant, regardless of how well they work. Dubbing ants should be traded for equally simple flies, not complex hoppers that required a lot more effort and material.

"The truth is that if you are using swaps to fill your fly box you are doing it wrong." yeah, you kind of missed the point!
It would take a lifetime of waiting to fill up a single fly box from these swaps...

A few fly swaps would hardly fill my boxes, and I have probably over a 1000 that I have tied (my boxes are full of my own thank you).

Don't send your cheapest and easiest flies to a swap knowing full well that you will receive something worth much more... Just my $0.02

And don't get all bent out of shape because someone calls you out on getting nice flies for nothing!