View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 02:31 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: walleye fly fishing.

I would think that flies glowing in really murky water has got to help. This summer I lost a furled leader that Joni made and tried scuba diving to retrieve it. I have caught a lot of big Walleye in this spot. I was shocked to say the least when I got down there in scuba gear. First of all, it was a lot shallower than I had thought. It was a completely rock bottom, where I had assumed there was sand or silt in at least one section of it. Here's the most surprising part of it. If I held my arm straight out I could not see all the way to my watch. In fact I started loosing my arm just about my elbow. It was not muddy either. It was like being in a giant glass of root beer. It's the worst visibility I have ever been in. I was actually surprised a fish ever sees anything in it. In the future I do plan to use glow in there, and more Orange, White, Yellow etc. that is easier to see.

I'd start watching e bay for the spey stuff. Albright used to make two handers, and at the end of the year had clearance deals that were unbelievable. That's how I got my 15' 10/11 wt. It was so cheap I figured "how can you go wrong"? I wish I had bought more of them now. I did buy two but sold one. I had someone that wanted to learn it and then never got around to it so I finally sold the rod to someone I really hope put it to use. I put a Trevor Morgan 10/11 wt spey line on it and you can't believe how far you can cast it. Being that you may use this on the Missouri, which is a lot like the river here, I'd go as big as you can find. 15' or as close to it as money well let you get. Heavy as well. 11 wt. or as close as you can find. Since you are new to this, let me know what you get and we can figure out a line that won't kick your butt right out of the gate. If you can get a rod that Trevor Morgan's lines will work on that would be great. Those lines are very 'new guy' friendly. Short belly lines. They seem to be really tough. Every once in a while I blow an anchor trying to hit Canada and whack something behind me. So far I have not been able to hurt the line doing it. Killed more than one fly that way though.

I have never fished the Missouri but I have looked at it near Kansas City. I would think that it's pretty much like fishing here but with Cats. Cast far, clousers, let 'em sink. If you can find something else coming in, especially if it has little rapids, fish right up where they meet or the bottom of the fast water. Toss it up in the fast water and strip like a mad man till you hit the bottom. The fish are often way farther up in the rapids than you would think. Bridges are good. They put rip rap to keep the bottom from eroding away and that attracts crayfish, minnows and the fish that eat them. I like our railroad bridge because the guys that work on it are to lazy to haul the big chunks of steel they replace off the bridge, so they chuck them over the side. It makes a reef down there. There is bait holding structure, ambush structure, fly snagging structure, etc. but it holds fish. I don't think the shade hurts anything either.

Now for that Tiger Musky place you mentioned. You really ought to go hit that with a fly rod also. They are very catchable on flies. Flies like these;
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
You will need to tie a leader they won't clip you off with. If you want to give it a try I'll explain how to tie them.