View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 03:03 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: walleye fly fishing.

I've tried several times for musky there and haven't landed one. Now, I got to close to them with the boat and watched them jet off (really frustrating when you were trying to throw into that area and they dart off because the wind blows your boat too close...). The only reason that I didn't try throwing the fly that day was because I didn't have the proper line on there to handle the large flies. I have a GPX line on there, now (which I hate) and I'm getting ready to go to a rio outbound for tossing big stuff like the flies above and wind-resistant poppers. This doesn't include the wind issue...

I was actually out there yesterday, trying to spey cast an old rio switch line (6/7wt) that I had on my single hand 7wt, using a 10' 20lb test floro leader with a #4 black wooly bugger on it. I just wanted to see how well the long belly would perform with a sunken, heavy fly. Btw, it wasn't so good... Of course, I don't like the switch line much, either... Again, this is where that nice 15' spey rod would come in handy. Also, In the particular spot, I walk to feet into the water and I'm likely to be 50' under the water. So, I don't dare walk into the missouri.

To address the spey issue, since I'm directly on the bank, wouldn't I want more of a skagit style head for lanuching these heavy flies and sink tips out there?

I'm also interested in these flies! I am a novice at fly tying!