View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 10:38 AM

livelli is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Redfishing, a little help?

The tide was moving out. High tide was at 8:22 and I hit the water right at 8 so I know I had it working against me, but by 9 the tide was starting to move out. I could really feel it when I went over a sand bar and my yak felt like someone was trapped under me trying to stand up. The water is pretty murky, about 1-2ft visibility, and the bottom is a dark greyish brown. Our marshes are mainly pluff mud, and just a half mile south of where I was fishing is Huntington Beach State Park. Alligator infested Huntington Beach State Park. This does not auger well for one wanting to wade. I'm a big, tough, fireman type, but it's what I can't see that scares me. I'm the kind of guy who'll swim out in the ocean and yell to my fiance on the shore "C'mon in! What are you afraid of? Sharks?" But let a piece of seaweed touch my foot and I'll run on the water like I was the second coming.

My idea is just to fish where I feel the fish should be base on tide, time, structure, conditions, currents, and circumstances. This was my first time out fly fishing from my kayak so I wasn't expecting to catch my limit on my first day, but one would have been nice. I did notice that my casting range increased as the day progressed. My double haul got proficient enough to where I did throw about 70 feet out at one point. That was a bit of a surprise when I cast out so far that all the line I stripped onto the deck went and I heard the drag clicking, with a #4 deceiver. I now have a more profound respect for the importance of line speed. Sadly I lost my third (from top) snake guide. The rod is a South Bend I picked up for $40 so I'll cry no tears over it. I don't think it'll help my back cast at all, but once I find a suitable paper clip, my EOD tool and I should be able to fabricate a decent replacement.

Also, I found a guy a few miles from me selling his father's tying equipment. He says it's $500 worth of tools, hooks, materials, books, etc., and he'll let it go for $100. Payday is Thursday so I just might start tying my own soon. I'm thinking deceivers, shrimp, crabs, and various baitfish patterns, all of various sizes and colors. If saltwater fishing is anything like fresh, I imagine the seemingly illogical principle of using lures/flies that match the color of the water or the bottom should still work. Black/reds, black/purples, white/green, white/browns, and so on. I've caught many largemouth on chartreuse so I'll be sure to make a few brighter flies as well.

---------- Post added at 09:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete a View Post
I like the area just north of #10 where the channel splits. The confluence of the channels looks promising.
That's what I thought, but my 4lb anchor wasn't strong enough to hold me in in the current. I've got a second that I used to use when fishing for cats in the ICW. I'll have to promote it back into service.

Also, even though I got skunked I do feel a bit more "enlightened." By that I mean I learned about an area I have not previously fished and also gained a few hours of solid fly fishing practice, even in windy conditions. I had to untie about a dozen wind knots, but my skills improved and even though I went home empty handed I still believe there was a benefit from the trip. I've heard people say that you can fish for reds into the winter. Is that so? Last year my yak was mounted to the ceiling of my garage until this February. It would be nice not to have to hoist that beast back onto those hooks again.