View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 10:38 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Redfishing, a little help?

Pete is right on about getting out and wading. Use the Kayak to access spots like 10 and the 3/4/5 region, then anchor it up and constantly watch the shallows for cruisers while blind-casting to the potholes. I know you said the water could be up to 5' deep but what about those 2' areas? Is that at the highest tide or what? I prefer to get out at the lowest tide and post up on a spot like 5 or 10 and watch as the tide comes in. The reds should move up on to the flats to feed, at which point you can place your fly in front of them and hopefully watch them eat! Look for oyster beds if you have them, this is a favored feeding area. Schools of mullet typically have followers, just as cruising rays do.

Posted this just as you reposted.... alligators and sharks are always fun fishing partners... I wade in one estuary where I have been bumped by sharks and seen sharks caught. But it's also where I've caught my biggest redfish. But if you can outfit your kayak to stand up in and you're comfortable remaining in it (and get a heavy anchor) you could be fine staying in the boat. If you can stand in it, you'll benefit from a few extra inches of height. And while this may sound absolutely ridiculous, if you can figure out a way to haul a step-ladder out there, you'd benefit a whole lot sighting fish from a step-ladder set up in the flats, plus you will absolutely confuse passing boaters and even other anglers, up until you hook the huge bull you sighted from way off.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...