View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 12:20 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Switch Rod & Reel, need everything else......

Jeff, the choice of Scandi vs Skagit really is a pretty simple one. With a skagit you're doing sustained anchor costs (read that let the sink tip sink!) at the anchor point. With Scandi's the anchor is a touch and go with full floating leaders through to extra fast sinking POLY LEADERS.

With a Scandi head, if you want to use sink tips made of T-8 or T-11, they'll have to be pretty short. I wouldn't recommend material heavier than that.

Obviously a skagit head will be shorter, and have more grain weight, than a Scandi on a given rod. Sooooooooo, to boil all that down, with a rod 'that short' I'd look at a 27 to 30 foot Scandi head (you really won't want to chuck regular sink tips anyway) between 420 and 470 grains.

With full on floating leaders stick to 9 to 12 foot; over that and you'll have lay out issues.

Just my .02 cents.
fae

Last edited by fredaevans; 10-02-2012 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Damn it! A spelling error ... My Bad.