View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 04:17 PM

oregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the rough
Default Moving from the NW to Vieques, PR

My wife and I are moving to the tropics to get away from our families and one of the worst summers we've ever had. We are young, and we have the ability to work from wherever, so we are selling all our things and going for it. The plan is to buy a small skiff and fish as many days as we can handle.

I've fished saltwater flats before for bonefish, and it's probably my favorite fishing I've ever done. It's one of the main reasons we chose our destination, which is the island of Vieques off the coast of Puerto Rico.

So, I'll be transitioning from being a pretty skilled trout and steelhead fisherman to a fairly clueless flats fisherman. I know how to tie Crazy Charlies, how to strip strike and I can cast accurately in a strong wind... but that's about the length of my knowledge. Basically, has anyone been to Vieques and fished, and are there any other tips to make the transition a bit easier? Also, any tips on spotting fish in turtle grass? I've only ever fished over sand-flats, and fish are super easy to spot. Also, what's the best way to start chasing Tarpon or other inshore species?