View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 09:47 AM

jsquires has a spectacular aura aboutjsquires has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: What Keeps You From Going to Alaska to Fish?

Hi, everyone. I'm new to the forum and really enjoying it. This thread caught my eye because I give presentations to fly clubs on do it yourself Alaskan wilderness trips. I do take a very few clients on AK wilderness trips, but the emphasis of my presentation is how to plan and carry out your own trip at a reasonable cost (for such a trip). Of course the subject is too large to cover the details in a thread like this, but just generally I'd say you need wilderness experience, proper gear, emergency equipment, someone who can row a raft, and -- extremely important -- a good chemistry amongst the group and a good attitude (there will be bugs, bears and often weather issues). As someone pointed out already, a key to keeping the costs down is paying less for commercial air - frequent flyer miles, a "buddy" ticket for $99, etc. Also, the "numbers game" is important as far as float plane cost. Sorry for rambling. As I said, too much to cover here, so I would be happy to answer any specific questions. Also, I get it that many folks don't want to deal with the wilderness. Just do your research on close-to-town venues; you don't want to (I don't think) travel all the way to AK to fish shoulder to shoulder with others - we can all do that at home.