View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 08:43 PM

jspriddy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: acceptable distance for 9' 5 wt.

Well, guys, I never expected so much response, but thanks to all who took the time.

I doubt I'll be fishing any streams, rather lakes for panfish and bass, and 40- 45 ft. seemed to me to be enough in most situations. I am practicing every opportunity I get, concentrating on accuracy, but still realize that sometimes a little more distance could be useful. I'm going to start paying more attention to my backcast, as I feel that's where my trouble lies. So Riptide, I will get more practice. Don't apologize for truth-if being the heavy is truth, so be it.

I will watch the videos, although I'm not interested in any world record "rocket shots", just getting the most practical distance out of my rod. I get your point, also, Axel.

Brian, I know I'm opening a can of worms here, but how would a greenhorn, with no "expert" around to help, know if the line was unsuited to the rod? Experimentation with the cost of fly line would be cost prohibitive. I'm using a 9 ft. 5 wt. rod, which I believe to be medium action, with 5 wt. WF floating line. All of it White River from BassPro.

Thanks to all,

John

Patrick O’Brian